13 February 2011

Coenraad De Buys - The First Transvaler

I finally managed to get a copy of "Coenraad De Buys - The First Transvaler" which was written by Agatha Elizabeth Schoeman (nee Kingdon) in 1938. (A million thanks to Antiquarian Auctions and to Arnaud Labuschagne at Gandolph's Books)

The book (which is a little worn on the spine and even signed by Agatha in pencil) was actually a thesis "submitted in partial fulfilment of requirements for the Degree of Master of Arts in the Faculty of Arts, University of Pretoria".  It covers the life and times of Coenraad De Buys and and been used by many researchers because of it's historical accuracy and it's insight into daily life in the colony.


I have been trying to find out who, if anyone, has copyright on the book as I would like to make it available electronically as a searchable PDF file.  If anyone can help with regard to copyright on the book or knows of Agatha's descendants I would really appreciate your help!

9 comments:

  1. Well done 5x grandson, I am very proud of you. This looks like it could become a collectors item sooner than later.

    You are really doing a great job on the "de Buys" family history, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To the best of my knowledge copyright in South Africa lasts for 50 years unless specifically renewed, so whoever did hold copyright on this most likely no longer does. In any case I wonder if anyone would object to this being made widely available now? The Dept of History at Tukkies would maybe be best placed to advise on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK I see my previous comment is a little out of date! Delete if necessary! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. © 1933 University of Pretoria. All rights reserved. The copyright in this work vests in the University of Pretoria. No part of this work may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, without the prior written permission of the University of Pretoria.

    http://upetd.up.ac.za/thesis/available/etd-04062011-162438/

    Please cite as follows:

    Schoeman, AE 1933, Coenraad de Buys, MA dissertation, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, viewed yymmdd < http://upetd.up.ac.za/thesis/available/etd-04062011-162438/ >

    ReplyDelete
  5. My father-in-law is a very keen follower of transvaal history and is eager to find a copy of this book. Can I download it anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there Sandy,

    Yes, the book is available at the University of Pretoria's website. Visit this page: http://upetd.up.ac.za/thesis/available/etd-04062011-162438/ and download "dissertation.pdf" on that page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a direct descendant of Coenraad de buys and am living now in Australia. I clearly remember how with my family and grandmother we went to Mara Buysdorp, still have the scars of when I fell into the outside galley fire. My grandmother was Anna Buys and my sister still lives over there. The rest of the family also have there land there. My father gave the last born son the name Stefanus Coenraad De buys Niekerk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I don't have a Stefanus Coenraad De Buys Niekerk in the family tree but would really like to investigate your family tree. Please mail me directly at lad (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za

      Delete